dark sky quick silver stars cheese & bubbles
- Duration: 7 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Zadows Landing, SA
- Product code: SILVER SKY
Stargazing heaven on a stunning nature-based property, 'Meldanda', with a dedicated Dark Sky viewing area! If you're short on time this is the quick glimpse for you. Curious about what lies beyond? Immerse yourself. Switch off for a while.
Look up. Most of us are looking straight ahead, juggling life so we don’t drop the balls. This is your chance to really look up. Discover the highlights of this 130 million-year old natural playground with our internationally accredited dark sky, slow waters, sandy cliffs & steadfast characters. Stay a while and return to your real life once you have let the river and its night sky truly work its magic.
We’ve teamed up with the local tourism stars, the astrophotography stars and the astronomical stars of the region to take you on a journey of our backyard. We’ve known for decades it’s of one of the darkest places on earth, and recent recordings of this darkness measured at 21.97 on a scale of 0 to 22. About 200-300 stars can typically be seen in Southern Hemisphere urban areas, whereas an estimated 5000 can be seen from your tour site, including a better view of the centre of the galaxy (the Milky Way)!
Stargazing is for everyone. Are you curious about what lies beyond? Do you have a sense of wonder and see yourself as part of a bigger picture? Are you passionate about light pollution and preserving dark skies? Or maybe you simply want to immerse yourself in nature and switch off for a while. Whether you are a complete amateur or an international expert, we pride ourselves on doing our best to customise the tour to suit your needs.
QUICK SILVER STARS CHEESE & BUBBLES TOUR
Tour Route: Mannum - Mannum Waterfalls (optional) - Meldanda @ Cambrai - Mannum
Short on time but need a glimpse of the night action? We’ll get you out amongst it and you can be gone in a flash. This tour is more suitable for children, departing the picturesque township of Mannum, leading you on a journey of discovery into the internationally accredited Dark Sky Reserve area.
Meldanda is a stunning 40 hectare property with a dedicated Dark Sky viewing area. Situated along the River Marne, the site was bequeathed to the nearby Cambrai Primary School as an outdoor classroom, so the young people of the region could restore and appreciate the native flora and fauna. Your guide will lead you through the site where the local Mid Murray Landcare group have also help setup a community garden, bat island, a bush tucker garden, giant frog pond, bird hide and a butterfly garden.
· Luxury travel in comfortable small group tour vehicle/s from Mannum to the internationally accredited Mid Murray Dark Sky Reserve area 'Meldanda' site at Cambrai, and return.
· Complimentary glass of bubbles or soft drink to kickstart your tour.
· Use of provided telescope and red torch lights to view stars, constellations, planets, clusters and galaxies
· Useful guided tips to help you connect to the night sky through stargazing
· Astrophotography - Bring your own digital camera & tripod for techniques to capture awe inspiring starry night skies.
· Local cheese and meats produce tasting plate for late night stargazing
· Insightful and light-hearted commentary on your journey, about townships and locations between destinations
· Fully enclosed trailer for transporting equipment and luggage
Want to see more? Consider upgrading to Dark Sky Platinum Stars Sunset Dinner Tour, Overnight + Murray River Highlights Day Tour takes you on a progressive stargazing and cultural journey through the proposed Dark Sky Reserve by night, a comfy sleepover in the region and an awakening discovery of the River in daylight hours the following day (contact us by email or phone to book Platinum). Gold Stars Sunset Dinner Tour is the night time only version of the Platinum tour (go back a page to the separate tour listing to book online or contact us).
· Dark Sky tours depart from Arnold Park Mannum (next to Mannum Visitor Information Centre, across the road from Mannum Motel).
· Weather is vital as telescopes are affected by wind, clouds and rain. Weather forecasts are unreliable until the day of the tour. By 4pm you will be notified if the careful examination by astronomers of weather and cloud forecasts are favourable for the tour. Tours may commence earlier or later than scheduled. Once a tour commences, there is no guarantee of weather interruptions. If clouds appear, we will wait for them to clear and then resume the tour, or look at alternatives in a different direction. Once a tour commences you willingly participate, there is no refund or rescheduling offer. In the event of weather prohibiting your Dark Sky tour from proceeding, we will try to offer you an alternative tour date if possible. Otherwise you will receive the option to convert to a Gift Voucher valid for 12 months after your cancelled tour, or offered a refund of payment already processed.
· You may wish to plan your trip around the Moon Phase. Click here to see the River Murray International Dark Sky Reserve Moon Phase Calendar.
· We can organise group return transfers from Adelaide CBD, Adelaide Hills, Barossa or Murray River, Lakes & Coorong region (others available please check).
· Tour is designed for small groups in The Entertainer Limousine with a minimum of 6 passengers required before the tour will depart. This tour is not a private charter unless the maximum of 11 passengers is reached by numbers in your group. This means you may be sharing the ride with others. Private charters are available on request, and the full capacity fare may be charged accordingly. Other tour vehicles may be used instead of The Entertainer Limousine, please check.
· Dress warm, it can get cold at night time even in summer.
· Itineraries are subject to change and some tour inclusions may be replaced temporarily without notice.
· Read our full Terms and Conditions https://www.jugglehouse.com.au/terms-conditions/
Photo credits: Dave Hartley Photography, Mannum