dark sky gold stars sunset dinner
- Duration: 7 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Mannum, SA
- Product code: GOLD SKY
Journey to one of the earth's darkest places. A stargazers delight perched ontop of the tallest Murray River clifftop in Australia. Meet stars in our backyard – guides of the heritage night sky, Aboriginal custodians, & the native wildlife.
Look up. Most of us are looking straight ahead, juggling life so we don’t drop the balls. This is your chance to really look up. Discover the highlights of this 130 million-year old natural playground with our internationally accredited dark sky, slow waters, sandy cliffs & steadfast characters. Stay a while and return to your real life once you have let the river and its night sky truly work its magic.
We’ve teamed up with the local tourism stars, the astrophotography stars and the astronomical stars of the region to take you on a journey of our backyard. We’ve known for decades it’s of one of the darkest places on earth, and recent recordings of this darkness measured at 21.97 on a scale of 0 to 22. About 200-300 stars can typically be seen in Southern Hemisphere urban areas, whereas an estimated 5000 can be seen from your tour site, including a better view of the centre of the galaxy (the Milky Way)!
GOLD STARS SUNSET DINNER TOUR
Your tour meanders along the roadside path parallel to the Murray River. A popular nesting ground for cockatoos and plentiful wildlife, this farming district has its own story to tell. Cross the ferry at Walker Flat for your first glimpse of impressive ancient cliffs and marvel at the sights from several lookouts as we journey towards Swan Reach.
Ngaut Ngaut immerse yourself in Aboriginal Dreaming at one of South Australia’s most significant Aboriginal cultural sites. The Nganguraku people will welcome you to where Aboriginals have lived in the Devon Downs (Ngaut Ngaut) rock shelter for at least 5000 years. Australia’s first archaeological excavation took place here, and you can view 12 living layers and three separate cultural stages via the boardwalk wandering around the ancient riverside cliffs. Visit the birthplace of the ‘Black Duck Dreaming’ with your guides challenge perceptions of Aboriginal culture, leaving you in awe of the resourcefulness of Australia’s Indigenous People.
Swan Reach Hotel is a very peaceful location perched on top of golden cliffs with sweeping views of the mighty Murray River. Indulge in a hearty, traditional Aussie pub meal from this prominent location, just 10kms from the Swan Reach Conservation Park – the core site of the internationally accredited River Murray Dark Sky Reserve.
Stargazing at Big Bend Cliffs - a natural wonder which must be seen to be believed. The cliffs are known as the tallest cliffs and the longest single bend along the entire length of the Murray River. Positioned on top of the Big Bend cliffs, it’s here you settle in for a glass of bubbles for stargazing at the night sky. You will have use of provided red torch lights and amazing viewing through the Orion XX12G American made telescope with Goto and tracking, and an onboard computer with 50,000 waypoints. There are only 3 of these scopes in Australia! Our astronomer will guide you through the night sky of stars, constellations, planets, clusters and galaxies. The views are sure take your breath away.
· Luxury travel in comfortable small group tour vehicle/s to the internationally accredited Mid Murray Dark Sky Reserve area and return.
· Complimentary glass of bubbles kick start your tour.
· Use of provided telescope and red torch lights to view stars, constellations, planets, clusters and galaxies
· Useful guided tips to help you connect to the night sky through stargazing
· Astrophotography - Bring your own digital camera & tripod for techniques to capture awe inspiring starry night skies.
· Main meal at Swan Reach Hotel
· Complimentary glass of bubbles at Big Bend Cliffs stargazing.
· Guided tour of Ngaut Ngaut Aboriginal Archaeological Cultural site
· Insightful and light-hearted commentary on your journey, about townships and locations between destinations
· Fully enclosed trailer for transporting equipment and luggage upon request
· Weather is vital as telescopes are affected by wind, clouds and rain. Weather forecasts are unreliable until the day of the tour. By 4pm you will be notified if the careful examination by astronomers of weather and cloud forecasts are favourable for the tour. Tours may commence earlier or later than scheduled. Once a tour commences, there is no guarantee of weather interruptions. If clouds appear, we will wait for them to clear and then resume the tour, or look at alternatives in a different direction. Once a tour commences you willingly participate, there is no refund or rescheduling offer. In the event of weather prohibiting your Dark Sky tour from proceeding, we will try to offer you an alternative tour date if possible. Otherwise you will receive the option to convert to a Gift Voucher valid for 12 months after your cancelled tour, or offered a refund of payment already processed.
· You may wish to plan your trip around the Moon Phase. Click here to see the River Murray International Dark Sky Reserve Moon Phase Calendar.
· We can organise group return transfers (additional cost) from Adelaide CBD, Adelaide Hills, Barossa or Murray River, Lakes & Coorong region (others available please check).
· Talk to us about including Mannum Motel overnight and Murray River Highlights Tour the following day.
· Tour is designed for small groups in The Entertainer Limousine with a minimum of 6 passengers required before the tour will depart. This tour is not a private charter unless the maximum of 11 passengers is reached by numbers in your group. This means you may be sharing the ride with others. Private charters are available on request, and the full capacity fare may be charged accordingly. Other tour vehicles may be used instead of The Entertainer Limousine, please check.
· Additional costs for drinks at Swan Reach Hotel
· Dress warm, it can get cold at night time even in summer.
· Itineraries are subject to change and some tour inclusions may be replaced temporarily without notice.
· Read our full Terms and Conditions https://www.jugglehouse.com.au/terms-conditions/
Photo credits: Ben Goode (Cover Photo & Big Bend Cliffs Photo) & Dave Hartley Photography, Mannum