dark sky gold stars sunset dinner
- Duration: 7 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Mannum, SA
- Product code: GOLD SKY
Discover an enchanting journey in the heart of Australia's very first International Dark Sky Reserve. Meet the stars of the region – Astronomy guides touring you through the night sky and Aboriginal custodians welcoming you to their ancient rock shelter.
Our Sunset Dinner Tour introduces you to one of the darkest places on earth with virtually no light pollution. Recordings of the Reserve measure at 21.9 on a scale of 0 to 22. About 300 stars can typically be seen in Southern Hemisphere urban areas, where an estimated 5000 can be seen here, including a better view of the centre of the galaxy (the Milky Way) !
Your tour meanders along the roadside path parallel to the Murray River. A popular nesting ground for cockatoos and plentiful wildlife, this farming district has its own story to tell. Cross the river on the ferry to marvel at impressive ancient cliffs and the sights from lookouts.
* NOTE * Tour Thursday 18 August is a special adventure to Karoonda Silo Art 'Constellations' instead of Ngaut Ngaut. All other tour details are the same with dinner at Bowhill Store.
· Tour of the night sky by an astronomer on the Murray River clifftop
· Use of provided red torch lights and telescope to view the night sky
· Main meal at Swan Reach Hotel or Bowhill Store (drinks own cost)
· Guided tour of Ngaut Ngaut Aboriginal Archaeological Cultural site (souvenirs available)
· Luxury travel in small group tour vehicle/s from Mannum to the Reserve area and return
· Insightful and light-hearted commentary about townships and locations
· Fully enclosed trailer for transporting equipment and luggage upon request
PLEASE CLICK TO READ each of these headings below prior to booking:
Ngaut Ngaut immerse yourself in Aboriginal Dreaming at one of South Australia’s most significant Aboriginal cultural sites. The Nganguraku people will welcome you to where Aboriginals have lived in the Devon Downs (Ngaut Ngaut) rock shelter for at least 5000 years. Australia’s first archaeological excavation took place here, and you can view 12 living layers and three separate cultural stages via the boardwalk wandering around the ancient riverside cliffs. Visit the birthplace of the ‘Black Duck Dreaming’ with your guides challenge perceptions of Aboriginal culture, leaving you in awe of the resourcefulness of Australia’s Indigenous People.
Swan Reach Hotel is a very peaceful location perched on top of golden cliffs with sweeping views of the mighty Murray River. Indulge in a hearty, traditional Aussie pub meal from this prominent location, just 10kms from the Swan Reach Conservation Park – the core site of the internationally accredited River Murray Dark Sky Reserve. Bowhill Store is equally enchanting with river views and excellent meals and is often visited on our tours on Saturday nights or other times.
Stargazing on the Cliff Top - our region has the tallest cliffs and the longest single bend along the entire length of the Murray River. Positioned in the International Dark Sky Reserve, on top of Walker Flat cliffs, you will have use of provided red torch lights and amazing viewing through powerful telescopes. Our astronomer will guide you through the night sky of stars, constellations, planets, clusters and galaxies. The views are sure take your breath away.
Photo credits: Ben Goode (Cover Photo & Big Bend Cliffs Photo) & Dave Hartley Photography, Mannum